Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Sandwiches

Taking a break from new restaurants to talk about something a bit simpler -- the sandwich.  A well made sandwich is one of my favorite things.  Pulling out bread, meat, cheese and whatever else you can find in the fridge as you veg out on the couch and catch up on bad reality TV ranks pretty high up there on my list.  However, when the major lazy’s strike, finding someone else to make you a sandwich is that much better. 
Oak Lawn location
photo courtesy of eatzi's.com
Not having a beau to make a sandwich for me, the next step is choosing out of the many sandwich shop options in Big D, which brings us to eatZi’s. Having spent plenty of time at Eatzi’s in the past 3 years, I don’t know how I never made it to the sandwich bar until this week. I usually don’t make it past the half-price sushi after 9pm, the orzo pasta salad and the great cartons of gelato by the checkout line.  And technically I still haven’t made it there yet. 
But I did get a chance to try the Build Your Own Sandwich the other day. Got a call from my Dad while headed home one night with the offer to pick up dinner if I want -- free meal = YES PLEASE!! He asked what kind of sandwich I wanted from eatZi’s and was not exactly pleased at my lack of response.  Side note – my taste buds are about as fickle as a hormone-filled teen romance.  I very rarely have a “favorite” anything and this includes sandwiches, making the idea of ordering from a new place over the phone nearly impossible – I’ll go ahead and claim my high maintenance tiara now. Luckily my father recognizes my sandwich commitment issues and walked me through the breads, spreads, meats, cheeses and fixins’ for my creation with the patience of a saint – they say anxiety is genetic, so I think he recognizes my inability to order a sandwich is at least partially his fault. 

I went roasted vegetables on wheat with provolone and pesto sauce.  OH MY GOODNESS!!  No wonder this has been my sister’s go-to sandwich spot for years.  It was amazing!! The bread was hearty enough to hold the massive amounts of veggies without soaking in too much pesto to become soggy.  The veggies included grilled mushrooms, peppers, squash, carrots and a few more veggies – I got a little busy tearing into the sandwich like I’d just finished a weeklong cleanse and forgot to remember the rest.  It was warm but not toasted or over-cooked.  Even the leftovers cold the next day were incredible!!  I was in heaven and HIGHLY recommend this as a go-to prior to any picnic or brown bag lunch adventure you have planned.  Grab a sandwich, some cheese and crackers and your favorite adult beverage at Eatzi’s, then spend a perfect Thursday night at one of the many fun activities offered around town.  I would highly recommend Dallas Guide Live to find out what’s going on around town.  I really can’t think of a better Dallas night! A+ Eatzi’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment