Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Good Food for a Cause

In case you haven't heard, this week is the annual KRLD Restaurant Week.  KRLD partners with local restaurants to let tighter wallets eat in Dallas restaurants typically meant for the looser budget.  For $35 you get a three course prix-fixed meal, AND a percentage of each meal goes to the North Texas Food Bank.

As a twenty-something with a craving for steak and lobster on a Ramon Noodle budget, this is one of my favorite events around town.  I have lined up some great restaurants with family and friends this week and plan to share each night with you.  So let's get started!

Monday night a few of my girlfriends and I headed over to Stephan Pyles in Downtown Dallas for some Southwestern fare.  Dress code calls the attire "casual elegance," but this is Texas so you are fine wearing jeans and heels -- just steer clear of the shorts.  They also have a fun bartender, so get there early to check out their award-winning wines and great cocktails before the meal.

The night started with a selection of three fantastic drinks.  I had the Cucumber Basil Mojito and loved it--I'm not one for sweet drinks, but this was light, refreshing and perfect for the triple-digit weather.  Not a mojito fan?  Try the From the Garden.  This gin-based drink is the perfect complement to any meal.  I tried the Sangria but didn't love it; it had a sweet red wine base that was all together too sugary.

Our waitress was very sweet and explained everything well.  These guys really know their stuff.  She didn't go over our heads and answered all of the questions.  We ordered everything at once and they did a great job timing the meal with our conversation.

First Course: 
courtesy of dallasfoodgirl.blogspot.com
Corn Soup and Compressed Melon Salad
While the rest of the table ordered the corn soup, I decided to get the compressed melon salad.  I think I got out ordered -- hate that.  The honeydew, watermelon and cantaloupe were all infused in different herb juices (spearmint, basil, etc.).  The salad also included a goat cheese panna cotta, arugula and crushed pistachios.  It was interesting, but I didn't feel like I could fully experience it -- the melon was great but it went too quickly.  The panna cotta was rich and a little too filling for a salad.  The other girls lapped up their soup though, giving me the feeling I'd been seriously out ordered. 

Second Course: 
courtesy of dallasgoodgirl.blogspot.com
Pork Tenderloin Wrapped in Bacon
Half of us ordered the pork tenderloin and half ordered the salmon.  The tenderloin was wrapped in heavy, fatty bacon on a bed of vinegar roasted brussel sprouts and pickled blackberries and came with a side of horseradish-whipped potatoes.  While the pork was fattier than I would have liked, everything else on the plate was fantastic!  I had the pleasure of trying pickled berries at an underground dinner a few years back and discovered I LOVE them.  If you ever get a chance, take the plunge -- don't think, just jump.  The brussel sprouts were what you would expect, but the kick of the horseradish in the potato offered a great balance to the fattiness of the pork.  I'm not usually one for horseradish, but I may need to try this at home.  After stealing a bite of the salmon, I can say the mix of the light salmon with hearty chorizo was a fun and unexpected flavor combination.  I wouldn't reorder the pork (with the exception of those amazing berries), but I'd get that salmon in an instant.

Third Course:
Capirotada with Cajeta

This course was definitely my favorite.  So good!  The capirotada was a Mexican bread pudding with a hint of cinnamon.  It included vanilla whipped cream and melted cajeta.  First, if you haven't had cajeta before, get off the computer, go to your nearest Spanish grocery store and buy some.  It tastes like a mix of caramel and nutella and is PHENOMENAL.  I was first introduced to it via lollipop form in Mexico (yes they come in lollipops!) and have loved it ever since.  Jill McCord, the pastry chef at Stephan Pyles, did not disappoint.  If not for social etiquette, I probably would have licked the plate.  We also tried the "choc"uterie plate (good but a little rich, the best part was the churros) and the lemon tart (not enough lemon to give it a good "kick").

Overall I would give Stephan Pyles an B+ for this meal.  As much as I love Stephan Pyles on a regular night, my order choices caused disappointment and a hankering for my friends' dishes throughout the night, but I will definitely be back again.  Stephan Pyles, you still have a piece of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment